You’ve heard the old saying “It takes a village to raise a child.”‘ Did you know that saying also can apply to adults working to affect change in their lifestyle? When you decide to make a change in your life and kick a habit or acquire a new healthy one-it’s often impossible to make that change without help! Research shows that most adults cannot make significant changes based on shear willpower alone. Working with a coach is one of the most effective ways to create new habits and lifestyle routines. Coaches can help you in different areas. Here’s 8 reasons why a coach can help you.
1. Coaches see the whole picture. You may be focused on getting in shape and/or losing weight. Your coach can help you tie in nutrition, exercise, weight management, menu planning, and even stress management to help you reach your goal.
2. Coaches create accountability. When you meet with your coach on a weekly basis and report your week’s work, it doesn’t take long to figure out that you don’t want to report negative results. Having an accountability partner in a coach gives you someone that will cheer you on in your successes and help you unravel why you may have fallen short when you don’t meet your goals.
3. Coaches personalize your program. Rather than a “one-size-fits-all” method, your coach will create a program for your specific needs. By understanding your strengths and weaknesses, your coach will construct your program keeping in mind your personality, past successes and failures, likes and dislikes, attitudes about health and fitness, and your willingness to create new habits.
4. Coaches help you change your thinking. By learning how to create distractions when you are tempted, enlist friends to help you reach your goals, set up your own personal reward system, set reasonable and obtainable goals, you will be able to take your dreams and turn them into realities. Your coach will set up steps to get your where you want to be and will teach you how to reframe old thought patterns away from failure into success.
5. Coaches hear you. When was the last time your friends, family or even physician really took the time to listen to you express concern about your lifestyle and helped you create a path to changing it? Your coach is trained to interpret your concerns, fears, stress, and even excitement about the new lifestyle you want to create and turn that into reality.
6. Coaches help you build skills. The old saying is “The road to hell is paved with good intentions.” Just wanting something doesn’t always bring it about. But learning new methods, skills, and habits will. Coaches have the ability to teach you new skills and be the most successful in creating the new you.
7. Coaches can help you find a holistic solution. Many MD’s are great when it comes to helping us fix our broken bodies. But they aren’t so great at recommending a natural, holistic solution to common everyday problems. Coaches are trained in natural healing options that can help you without prescriptions and side effects. Sometimes, the answer is as easy as making a few nutritional changes. You can learn how to literally eat your way to health.
8. Coaches Connect with You. Your coach will get to know you on a personal level. Your conversations will be confidential, and through those conversations, your coach will get to know the real you. Having this relationship will be vital to helping you set and achieve your goals. While your family and friends may have their own opinions about what you are doing, your coach will be your biggest cheerleader and helper with no judgment!